For those who think chocolate is better than sex, sex in a pan has to be the perfect no-bake dessert for entertaining at home or for taking along to pot luck dinners. It is actually a layered dessert which can be whipped up ahead of time and then refrigerated until it is served.
It is easy to remember the cheeky name of this decadent and sensual combination of chocolate pudding and cheesecake. However, the preparation is fairly lengthy and time consuming, and it might be a bit more difficult to remember the ingredients rather than the name. So here are the step-by-step instructions, which need to be started a day in advance, but are actually fairly straightforward.
A 9 x 13 inch cake pan.
A large mixing bowl
A hand mixer
A pastry blender (optional)
½ cup butter or margarine
1 cup flour or 1 cup Graham crumbs
¼ cup sugar
1 package (500g) of cream cheese – softened to room temperature
½ cup icing sugar
1 tub of frozen whipped dressing such as Cool Whip
3 cups milk
1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix
1 package of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 small container of whipping cream
2 cup of mini chocolate chips, or ½ cup of shaved chocolate or 12 crumbled chocolate wafers.
1. Prepare the base one day beforehand.
To make the base with flour: Rub the butter or margarine into the flour or cut in with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, press the mixture into a 9 x 13 inch cake pan and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Allow the base to cool before beginning to add the layers.
To make the base with Graham crumbs: Melt the butter or margarine in the microwave, mix the butter or margarine with the Graham crumbs and sugar, and spread in the bottom of the cake pan.
2. To prepare the first layer, beat the softened cream cheese with icing sugar. Gently stir in the frozen whipped dressing and spread the mixture over the base.
3. To prepare the second layer, pour the milk into a large mixing bowl, add the vanilla and chocolate pudding mixes and beat until thick. This should only take about two to three minutes. Then spread the pudding mixture over the first layer, and allow it to set.
4. Whip up the cream until it is nice and thick and spread the whipped cream over the top of the pudding layer.
5. As a final touch, garnish the dessert by sprinkling it generously with chocolate shavings, mini chocolate chips or chocolate wafer crumbs.
6. Refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
Why is this dessert called “Sex in a Pan?” Who knows! Is it a good name for this dish? Well, once you have tasted it, you can be the judge. But rest assured that anyone who brings this dessert along to a pot luck should definitely expect rave reviews.
Next: Shipping a Homemade Pie